Friday 6 November 2015

Fun Food Friday - Butternut Squash Tomato Soup

I love soups.  Fall is the perfect time to tuck into a soothing bowl of soup and with all of the vegetables at their peak harvest it is the perfect time for root vegetables or squash to take centre stage.  

I had a beautiful butternut squash which I usually enjoy roasted.  But today I felt like making it into a soup.  The problem, though when I make butternut squash soup it often takes on the texture of baby food and I don't enjoy it.  So I got thinking about the wonderful soups I do like and tomato popped into my mind.  Then a perfect thought came - tomato butternut squash soup!

Both tomatoes and squash are full of antioxidants and fibre plus a whole host of other benefits and they both taste amazing.  For this soup I wanted it to have a tomatoey italian type feel.  So I added oregano and some goat cheese.  The cheese added a lovely creaminess to it.  Not a bit like baby food!



Butternut Squash Tomato Soup

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped
  • 1 can tomatoes
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable soup stock
  • 2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoon sea salt
  • approximately 4 tablespoons goat cheese
Instructions
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion until transparent. Add squash and cook until squash begins to caramelize. About 2-5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano. Cook for 1 minute longer. Pour stock into pan and bring to a boil. Simmer until squash is tender. Add salt. Add tomatoes and bring to simmer, breaking tomatoes up with spoon. Using and immersion blender or regular blender process until smooth or slightly chunky.
Divide among bowls garnish with goat cheese and pepper.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment