Friday 25 September 2015

Fun Food Friday - Berry Beet Smoothie

Another gloriously sunny and warm day.  I'm loving this weather for running before we head out for our days.  I have increased my distance and activity level lately and have noticed a little muscle soreness.  For me that is a bit of an indication to take it easy for a day or two and focus on eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties.

Beets are a perfect food to help with inflammation especially when combined with ginger.  These two root plants go perfectly together.  In addition to helping reduce inflammation, beets support the liver during phase 2 detoxification and provide other forms of antioxidants. 

I chose to cook my beets first and peel them to help reduce the earthy beet flavour.  I wanted something a little sweeter today.  This smoothie is very similar to a beet ginger juice  but thicker because I haven't just extracted the juice, so I get a bonus with a bit of extra fibre.

    
Berry Beet Smoothie

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: blender gluten-free vegan
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 medium beet cooked and peeled
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  • 1 apple cored and chopped
  • 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced
  • 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
  • water as needed
Instructions
Place all ingredients in blender and blend. Add water as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment