Sunday 2 February 2014

Winter Workouts and Recovery Food

Last week I was whining about the winter weather and how it was interfering with my ability to run outside.  This week nothing changed, in fact, we have gotten more snow with more predicted over the next week.  And with heavy snowfall comes the need to shovel and shovel and shovel.  Shovelling is not an easy task so I've decided to incorporate it into a workout.  Squatting and engaging my core and everything I preach about when I'm teaching a class. 
 
I have shovelled my driveway and a few others over the course of the weekend and have decided to treat the task as a workout.  It takes me at least 30 minutes to finish and like I said I need to engage my core and squat in order to get the snow lifted high enough.  So in addition to the core and leg workout, I am also lifting snow over my waist (or in my case over my head) to reach the top of the snow banks and voila - upper body.  Shovelling is a whole body workout.
 
After all of this effort out in the cold, a warm comforting snack is in order.... cookies still warm from the oven.  I didn't even try to make these healthy, just sit back with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and enjoy until the next 'snow event'.
 
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert snack

Ingredients (24 cookies)
  • 1/2 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla until fluffy. Stir remaining ingredients until well mixed. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit on tray for 2 minutes until removing to a cooling rack.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment