Tuesday 1 May 2012

Dill Pickle Kale Chips

A few weeks ago on one of my W.I.A.W. posts I showed a picture of kale chips and promised to post the recipe soon.... well here it is.

A bit of history on this recipe or rather the necessity of it.  I've decided to 'share' some of the household responsibilities I used to do on a regular basis as I've been busy with my teaching lately and I'm finally understanding that my husband is perfectly capable of buying groceries... even with the kids in tow.  

So... when I asked him to pick up some kale it was 3 for $5... so he bought 3 bunches.  Never having cooked or used kale before I can understand if he thought it was like spinach.  But nonetheless... we had some kale on our hands!  I needed recipes and pronto!  My favourite aside from smoothies - kale chips! 



There are tons of recipes out there for kale chips.  I love kale chips and can eat a ton at one sitting.  My husband - does not like kale in chip form or otherwise.... except in a smoothie. But I thought... what if I recreate one of his favourite potato chip flavour... maybe...  bring on the dill pickle kale chips.  Did he like these?  Not as much as chips... but I think they are brilliant!





 
Dill Pickle Kale Chips

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Keywords: bake appetizer snack vegan






 
  Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon liquid from dill pickles
  • 1 small dill pickle finely minced
Instructions
Preheat oven to 325. Cut tough stem from kale and chop into bite sized pieces. Wash kale in a salad spinner. Mix oil, pickle juice and minced pickle together. Toss with kale.
Spread kale evenly in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet, using two if necessary. Cook in oven stirring and turning every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. The edges of the kale will be slightly browned when finished and the kale will be crunchy. Cooking time is between 10 to 15 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment: