Saturday 11 February 2012

Winter Vegetable Soup after a Chilly Run

The winter roller coaster we've been riding in Southern Ontario has dished out more of the typical winter weather we usually get today.  We had about 5 cm of snow over icy roads to run on this morning.  Combine that with -13 degrees C and -22 with the wind chill, and you get the standard February Saturday morning run I've dealt with over the last 3 years.  I know suck it up... I choose to run... for fun.

My run really wasn't too bad, I stuck with the group and we all cheered each other on.  After this run, my coffee tasted great this morning.  When I got home, I decided to make a hearty winter vegetable soup that would be healthy and be comforting.  I added my favourite fresh herb - parsley... I know boring.  But I love the freshness of parsley.  I also added lemon juice at the end to give this soup a bit more freshness.  This recipe makes a giant pot of soup which is great because it freezes well and can provide a week worth of lunches.


Winter Vegetable Soup

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew vegan
Ingredients (10-12 1 cup servings)
  • 1 onion peeled and chopped
  • 2 stalks of celery chopped
  • 2 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
  • 1 cup of mushrooms chopped
  • 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
  • 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
  • 3/4 cups dried French lentils or small beans such as adzuki rinsed
  • 3/4 cups wild rice rinsed
  • 1 can tomatoes
  • 1 can chick peas
  • 4-5 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 cups of fresh spinach chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
Instructions
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms, garlic and celery. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, rice and lentils or beans to pot. Stir in 4 cups of stock and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until beans and rice are cooked. Add more stock if needed to give a 'soupy' consistency. Stir in spinach and parsley. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks so good! (cold and heat Is temporarily out of order in my apartment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - hope your heat is fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete