Sunday 26 February 2012

Spring Omelette with Cream Sauce

I've decided to accompany my training schedule with a healthier eating plan for the next month.  Not that I think I eat particularly poorly, but what I would have considered indulgences before have now become a normal part of my diet.  So for the next little while - I will attempt to eat clean. But I'm not going to become militant about it or beat myself up if I have something sweet every once in a while.

I've also decided to try this..



It tastes pretty good and its supposed to be full of antioxidants which might help me recover from all my extra workouts over the next few weeks.

I also decided to make a healthier omelet this morning for breakfast - read WITHOUT CHEESE!  I know big deal.. but I love cheese.  I actually didn't have any cheese I forgot to add it to the grocery list - no biggie.  The sauce I added to the omelet was amazing.  I will pretend that I didn't actually eat the last little bit straight out of the pot by the spoonful.


Spring Omelete with Cream Sauce

by Denise Boyd Dunlop

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Keywords: saute breakfast entree vegetarian

Ingredients (serves 2)

    For the Filling
    • 4-5 stalks of asparagus
    • 1/2 small onion chopped
    • 4 mushrooms chopped
    • 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
    • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 roasted red pepper chopped
    • 1/2 avocado chopped
    For the Sauce
    • 1 cup almond milk
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
    • 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
    • salt & pepper to taste
    For the Omelete
    • 4 eggs
    • 1/4 almond milk
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil

    Instructions

    For the Filling

    Snap woody ends off asparagus. Cut into bit sized pieces. In a small sauce pan, using a small amount of water cook until tender crisp. About 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stain water and set aside.

    Heat oil in pan. Sauté onion and mushrooms until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside with avocado and peppers.

    For the Sauce

    Add all ingredients to small sauce pan, whisking until smooth. Heat over medium bringing to a simmer. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. Continue cooking until sauce begins to thicken. Keep sauce warm while making the rest of the omelette, stirring regularly.

    For the Omelete

    Heat oil in pan. Whisk eggs and milk together. Pour eggs into hot pan. Allow eggs to cover the entire pan. Once the edges and bottom of the omelette have begun to set, sprinkle peppers, avocados, asparagus, mushrooms, onions and garlic on half of the eggs. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Carefully flip half of the omelete without the filling over the half with the fillings. Allow eggs to continue cooking for another minute.

    Divide omelete on two plates and top with sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment