Tuesday 7 February 2012

Full Moon Craziness with a side of Cauliflower

Yes - today was a full moon.  It is beautiful to look at tonight.  The sky is perfectly clear and the moon is remarkably bright.

I'm blaming some of the wonky energy I was surrounded by today on the full moon.  Thankfully the wonky energy was balanced out with a lot of goofy energy which made me happy to have people in my life that make me laugh.  The wonky - OK not so happy energy contributed to a clean and tidy office at work and the fastest 3 miles I've ever ran on a treadmill.

My running workout was complimented by an awesome yoga class this evening where the discussion was about - surprise, surprise the full moon and the importance of taking time to look inward and reflect on ourselves.  My yoga practise included a very long held lizard pose which has made my hips feel super relaxed.  A great counterbalance for my super fast run today.

So in a continuation of the weird wonky/goofy day I was inspired to try a recipe featured in last months Vegetarian Times magazine. Vegetarian Times - Mac & Cheese Style Cauliflower I had accidentally recycled misplaced my magazine.  So I decided to make my own version of their Mac and Cheese Style Cauliflower.  It wasn't bad... not a substitute for Mac & Cheese, but as my husband put it... the best cauliflower he's ever had.  I did add a bread crumb and cheese topping to the recipe as someone mentioned in this months letters to the editor comment.  I think the topping made all the difference.

Baked Cheesy Cauliflower

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake side entree vegetarian

Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 small head of cauliflower
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margerine
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded old cheddar
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 3/4 cups bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
Instructions
Steam cauliflower until tender crisp. DO NOT over cook! Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Whisk milk into butter and flour mixture. Continue whisking until milk and flour sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt and mustard powder until cheese has melted. Stir cauliflower into cheese sauce. Pour into grease baking dish.
In another bowl, melt second amount of butter. Toss bread crumbs into melted butter. Sprinkle break crumbs on top of cauliflower and top with cheese. Cook in a 350 oven for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread crumbs are browned.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Cauliflower + Cheese? Don't see how that could be bad! I love when I can combine yoga and a run all in one day, wonky or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I'm craving everything in it! That cauliflower bake looks fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete