Sunday 4 December 2011

High Tea at my House

So we've begun the month of December and in with it comes the season of parties and eating - at least for me it seems.  I'll post more about my thoughts on the food workout balance during this time of year later this week.  Today I have a post for an awesome - but admittedly high fat and not very nutritionally dense treat but it is very delicious.  It is after all just that a treat.

Two things motivated this recipe for me.  The first was my visit to Langdon Hall last month where I had the most amazing scones.  My favourite was the maple scone with honey butter that felt like it melted in my mouth.  My second inspiration was at a recent get together I attended at my friend Gina's house.  Here's a shot taken by Dan.  Can you guess the secret ingredient?

If you guessed the wine - you'd be close.  Just kidding I'd rather drink it that bake with it.  The cranberries.  And Gina was coming over this afternoon to discuss something rather big coming up for both of us in the near future that I'll post about soon. (No - its not baby related). 

This afternoon I attempted to recreate the scones I had at Langdon Hall with my own twists added.  I have a go-to tea biscuit recipe I use all the time so I modified it.  I used real butter instead of margarine, added vanilla and cinnamon, and substituted some of the sugar for maple syrup.  I think next time, I'd substitute out all of the sugar for maple syrup.

Maple Cranberry Scones


Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter milk (or sour milk add 2 tsp lemon juice to 1 cup milk)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries tossed in 2 tsp of sugar (do not thaw if frozen)
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top of scones

Directions

In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients.  Cut in butter.  (A lot of recipes say to use 2 knives.  I've never figured out how to do this.  I find a fork works better).  In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet in.  Mix together until just combined.  Mix in cranberries.  I think the key to light tasting flaky scones or tea biscuits is to handle this dough at little as possible.  Form into a circle and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Using a pizza cutter or a large knife, cut into 8 wedges.  Separate and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool.  Serve with honey butter and marmalade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment