Sunday 9 October 2011

Saturday moring run summery and throw a Pie on the Barbie?

We are enjoying a spectacular Thanksgiving weekend in southern Ontario.  The temperatures have been in the low 20's with clear blue skies.  I have been savouring one last blast of summer weather in the fall as much as possible despite having a cold - thank you back to school germs.

I had a pretty tough run yesterday.  My training group was running 20k a flat out and back on a trail that I had ran dozens of times.  I started off feeling fine, but just over half way back I felt dizzy and chilled.  I alternated between running and walking trying my best to keep up with the group.  I couldn't figure out why I was feeling so off, I had done everything the same prerun that I usually do.  Same amount of water, 1/2 of a cup of coffee, ate half an English muffin and peanut butter and taken a decongestant for my cold.  Then it hit me - the Advil Cold and Sinus was to blame.  I'm not sure if anyone who has taken these has the same experience I do, but you take one and can drink tons of water and don't seem to have to pee the same proportion.  Maybe a little tmi there, but I'm pretty sure the decongestant dehydrated me and caused a more challenging run.

I still finished the run in 1:55 and once I drank 3 bottles of water and had a smoothie I felt much better.  I've also stopped taking anymore pills and have upped my water consumption significantly.  I am having a bit of dilemma though because I signed the girls and myself up for the Thanksgiving Day race in Guelph tomorrow.  I think I might do it just for the race experience, but given the fact that I'm still fairly congested and I'm running on tired legs I won't expect a pb. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now on to the recipe.  The weather has been so great this weekend, I decided to turn my BBQ into an oven and bake a pie.  You certainly don't have to do that as it would be much easier to bake this recipe in the oven, but it was fun to experiment.

Rustic Peach and Raspberry Pie (BBQ optional)


Crust


1& 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.  Whisk melted butter, milk and egg in a separate bowl.  Mix wet ingredients into dry.  Knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Wrap and let chill for about 1/2 an hour.

Filling

6-7 peaches
1 cup of raspberries
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
1 tsp cinnamon

Peel and slice peaches.  Toss in a bowl with raspberries, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.

Putting it all together...

1 tbsp melted butter
cinnamon sugar

Roll dough on a floured surface until about 1/2 thick, approximately 12x12 inches or larger.  Pile fruit mixture in the middle.  Quickly fold one section of the crust toward the middle, working in a circular direction until the pie is folded to contain the filling.  Carefully and this is the tricky part, slide the pie onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  (Alternately you could roll the dough onto the parchment paper and avoid this step altogether.  Brush pie with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Have your BBQ or oven preheated to 350 degrees.  If using your BBQ place cookie sheet on the upper rack.  Watch BBQ carefully to maintain temperature.  Cook for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden and fruit mixture is bubbling.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment