Monday 2 May 2011

Roasted Vegetable Lasanga

My posts have been a day behind because my husband's laptop quit working - again and his backup was in the shop getting fixed.  So he needed to use his back up back up which is the laptop I now use.  Since he is actually getting paid to do the work on the computer and not goofing around he takes precedence.  On the other hand I had a great afternoon cooking and baking up a storm while he worked.

I made up this lasagna (although I'm sure there are recipes out there quite similar) as an alternative to using fake meat products in a vegetarian lasagna.  I'm not sure if its the roasted vegetables or the cheese sauce that make this recipe rock but I've had many non vegetarians request this or even choose it over a traditional meat lasagna.  The recipe is below - I apologize in advance for unappealing photos. As cool as my iPhone is it does not take food magazine quality pictures.

 Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

Roasted vegetables

You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand or prefer.  I used these yesterday.

 2 medium zucchini
1/2 an eggplant
1 onion
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 red pepper
1 carrot
1  cup mushrooms

Peel the carrot and onion.  Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces.  Put into a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Spread vegetables on a baking sheet or Pyrex baking dish.  Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.  Roast vegetables in oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.  They will look like this when done.


Most lasagna recipes I've seen have a ricotta or cottage cheese layer.  One time while making lasagna I made a cheese sauce layer because I didn't have ricotta or cottage cheese on hand and I preferred it.  If you would rather use the ricotta or cottage cheese layer.


Cheese Sauce


2 tbs butter or margarine
2 tbs flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
sea salt and pepper to taste


Melt butter on low heat.  Once the butter is melted add flour, whisking to blend.  "Cook" flour on medium low heat for about 2 minutes.  Whisk in milk.  Continue to whisk mixture until thickened.  Remove from heat.  Add cheeses whisking until melted. Taste and add salt and pepper.


Putting it together...


Sauce:


Add about 1/2 a jar of your favourite pasta sauce or if you make your own somewhere between 1 & 1/2 - 2 cups to the roasted vegetables.


Noodles:


9 noodles cooked (your favourite kind)


In a 10 in x 14 in pan layer your noodles, vegetable sauce and cheese sauces twice.  If you have cheese sauce left, spread it on top of the noodles.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Add shredded cheese for the last 5 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment