Sunday 8 May 2011

Happy Mother's Day & Cinnamon Buns

This morning after being "woken up" by two little voices screaming "Happy Mother's Day!!" at 7 am.  I packed up the two reasons I'm able to celebrate this day and went to help out and cheer on at a local 5k race.  I helped block traffic and one intersection and then loaded up the troops to cheer people on as they crossed the finish line.  My girls are experts at cheering and always make people smile with their enthusiasm.  I do make sure they are able to rest and have plenty of snacks available.

Taking a bit of a break between finishers

My sister's and I celebrated mother's day with our mom and our whole family yesterday.  Each of us brought a few dishes and we had a great visit with my parents and celebrated my mom.  I decided to make my Cinnamon Buns.  Typically these are reserved just for Christmas morning at our house, but since receiving a bread maker a few years ago, the recipe is much easier to make.  I've been making this recipe or a variation of it since I was in high school and it has travelled with me through my post-secondary education and my married life.

I was dreaming about these buns on my run yesterday.  I think after 32k I was justified to have 2 or 3.  Really anyone who is a mother deserves to have a few.  Heck if you have a mother have a some as well.

So without further ado - I present

Cinnamon Buns




1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 melted butter
1/2 white sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbs yeast (quick rise or for a bread machine)

Layer the ingredients in your bread machine in the order given above.  Set to dough cycle and do something else for an hour and a half.

Filling

1 cup butter
1&1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tbs cinnamon

When the dough is finished roll out on a floured counter top forming a 18x14 in rectangle.  Spread 1/4 cup of butter on the rectangle.  Leave a 1 in boarder around the rectangle.  Sprinkle the dough with 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon.  Beginning at the long side, roll the dough tightly.  Pinch the seam to seal.  Cover and let rise for 1/2 hour.

Meanwhile melt remaining sugar.  Stir in the rest of the brown sugar and cinnamon whisking until smooth.  Pour mixture into the bottom of a large 14x18 in pan.

Using a serrated knife, cut the rolled up dough into 15-20 pieces and place cut side up in pan.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degree for about 30 minutes.  The buns will sound hollow when tapped.  Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes then invert onto a serving platter. Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment